It is very important to choose the right location for your video. The proper location will make it convenient during the actual shooting of the video. It will be better if the place of the shoot will be near and relevant to the story of the video.
Here are several things to consider when looking for the perfect location.
1. Look for a place that matches the setting of the story. There are several sites to choose from which can be categorized as natural areas, historical sites, buildings, rural sceneries, urban landscapes, to name a few. A wrong location for a story will result to a video that is not believable.
2. Choose the right time to shoot. The appeal of a particular location change depending on what time of the day is it. For example, an early morning shooting focusing on sunrise, the collection of dews in the leaves, and the flower buds soon to bloom is perfect if you are creating a video that inspires hope and new beginnings. Night time is perfect if you want to set a romantic mood while at noon is the best time to portray hurried, busy city life.
3. Check light levels. Some locations like churches, hallways, libraries, and restaurants are dimmer than outdoor locations. In this case, shoot a few seconds first with your camcorder to know how dim one particular location is as reflected in the video. Determine how much more light is needed. Simple things such as opening curtains, doors and windows can resolve the low lighting concern.
4. The noise or the silence of the place also affects the story of the video tremendously. When you choose for the location, also consider the amount of sound you need to make the video convincing. If you want to create a video that invites the viewers to try a new sauna parlor, you can shoot a busy street full of noise then gradually shift the scene into a silent and relaxing sound of a flowing stream. If you want to pick up subtle and faint sounds, don’t choose noisy places.
5. Make sure that the place has enough space where you can set-up the equipment that you need. You might have equipment that needs to occupy a big space. Plus, you also need to make sure that you and your staffs also have enough space where you can have a discussion and can take some rest.